Mission & Vision
Valley Christian Schools' mission is to provide a nurturing environment offering quality education supported by a strong foundation of Christian values in partnership with parents, equipping students to become leaders to serve God, to serve their families, and to positively impact their communities and the world.
Vision StatementValley Christian Schools supports the homes and churches of students in providing an education that is grounded in the Judeo-Christian values of the Bible as reflected in the life and teaching of Jesus Christ. Valley Christian Schools is committed to a Quest for Excellence™ in all of its educational programs and provides a comprehensive kindergarten through twelfth grade curriculum with a rigorous college preparatory program. Firmly founded on Christian values, Valley Christian Schools challenges youth to aspire toward lives of character, service and influence while pursuing their individual Quests for Excellence.
Letter from the President
We are delighted that you are interested in attending Valley Christian Schools! Let me take this opportunity to give you an overview of what you can expect from Valley Christian Schools. The VCS faculty, staff, and administration are committed to the Quest for Excellence. Excellence is defined as the nature, character, and works of God, and we believe it is the standard to which God has called us. We strive for excellence not to bring glory to ourselves, but to God. It’s why Colossians 3:23 was chosen to accompany the phrase, as a reminder that everything we do is for Him. In keeping with the Quest for Excellence, we strive to offer the following commitments to VCS students and parents:
Excellence in every aspect of our schools is our goal. We look forward to you joining this Quest and becoming a part of Valley Christian Schools.
Clifford E. Daugherty, EdD
Philosophy of Christian Education
Academic Excellence at Valley Christian Schools finds its roots in the mainstream of Christian history. Teachers challenge students to think deeply about complex contemporary and ageless matters. Students probe the nature of truth and its application to daily living. They sharpen each other as they question, debate and challenge ideas, concepts and theories. Quality education at Valley Christian Schools means accepting learners: mentally, spiritually, physically and academically as they have been created. It means teaching students at their individual level of understanding and providing instruction at a pace at which they can succeed to their highest potential.
Valley Christian Schools exists to assist parents in fulfilling this God-given responsibility to properly train and formally educate their children (Ephesians 6:4).
As a “nurturing” Christian school, VCS seeks to admit students of parents who will support the school’s Mission and educational philosophy. VCS instructs students under the delegated authority of their parents in harmony with their various local congregations.
Statement of Faith
1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative, inerrant Word of God (2 Timothy 3:15; 2 Peter 1:21).
2. We believe that there is one God, Creator of the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1), eternally existent in three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:1; Matthew 28:19; John 10:30).
3. We believe in the deity of Christ (Isaiah 9:6, John 1:1-14, John 10:33, John 14:9); His virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23; Luke 1:35); His sinless life (Hebrews 4:15; Hebrews 7:26); His miracles (John 2:11); His vicarious and atoning death (1 Corinthians 15:3; Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 2:9); His resurrection (John 11:25; 1 Corinthians 15:4; Peter 1:3-4; Revelation 1:18) His Ascension to the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19); and His personal return in power and glory (Acts 1:11; Revelation 19:11).
4. We believe that “God said, ‘Let Us make man in Our image according to Our likeness... So God created man in His own image... male and female He created them.” Every human life is designed by God before conception, “being yet unformed” (Genesis 1:26-27, Psalm 139:16).
5. We believe that life begins at conception as every person is “made in secret,” with sacred infinite value, being “fearfully and wonderfully made” by our Creator. Because of the sacred value of each human life, our loving God demands, “... do not kill the innocent and righteous” (Genesis 1:26-27; Exodus 20:13; Exodus 23:7; Psalm 139:13-16).
6. We believe that it is not the divinely intended prerogative of people who are created by God to redefine His creation of humankind as being other than male and female. Regarding God’s creation of male and female, Jesus said, “Therefore, what God has joined together, let not man separate.” Redefinition of genders is contrary to God’s will as expressed in the Bible, given that men and women are both intended by God to reflect His image and nature. Marriage involving both genders is also a biblical type of Christ as the groom and the Church as His pure bride (Matthew 19:4-6; Matthew 25:1- 13; Revelation 22:17).
7. We believe in the absolute necessity of regeneration by the Holy Spirit for salvation because of the exceeding sinfulness of human nature; and that people are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of Christ; and that only by God’s grace and through faith alone are we saved; and that “there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” other than the name of Jesus Christ (John 3:16-19; John 5:24; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; Romans 5:8-9; Romans 10:9-10; Ephesians 2:8-10; Titus 3:5; 1 John 1:9; Revelation 3:20).
8. We believe that every person should “love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength... and your neighbor as yourself.” Accordingly, Christians are to afford every person love, compassion, kindness, respect, and dignity regardless of differences involving beliefs, cultures, or status (Matthew 22:31; Mark 12:12-28; Luke 10:27; John 3:17; Galatians 5:22-23; Philippians 2:3; James 2:1-13).
9. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life and that the spiritual unity of all believers exists as one in our Father God and our Lord Jesus Christ (John 17:20-23; Romans 8:9; Romans 8:13-14; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; 1 Corinthians 12:12-13; Galatians 3:26-28; Ephesians 2:8-9; Ephesians 4:30; Ephesians 5:18).
10. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life; and they that are lost unto the resurrection of condemnation (John 5:28-29; Revelation 20:12-15).
Accreditation & Educational Purpose
Valley Christian Schools maintains dual accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and the Association of Christian Schools International.
As a nurturing Christian School, VCS seeks to admit students of parents who will support the school’s Mission and educational philosophy. VCS instructs students under the delegated authority of their parents in harmony with their various local congregations.
Expected School-wide Learning Results (ESLRs)
To provide a good method of assessing how VCS is doing in achieving its mission statement, the Expected Schoolwide Learning Results (ESLRs) were implemented. VCS students will:
VCS General Policies
The policies and procedures are contained in the Student Handbook and the Enrollment Contract. Specific guidelines that govern the relationship between Valley Christian Schools, its students, and its parents are provided. The policies and procedures contained in the Student Handbook are designed to maximize the educational experience of the student, provide guidelines for acceptable conduct and establish academic standards and procedures.
The Quest for Excellence begins at Valley Christian Elementary School (VCES), where students pursue Academic Achievement, Artistic Beauty, and Athletic Distinction. This educational approach is integrated into all aspects of the elementary school, from classroom instruction to after-school enrichment. VCES blends the God-given talents of each and every student with extraordinary opportunities.
Named a National Blue Ribbon School in 2013, Valley Christian Junior High School (VCJH) offers sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students a nurturing and stimulating environment as we bridge the gap between the elementary years and high school. In addition to our National Blue Ribbon recognition, we were named an Intel Corporation School of Distinction for Middle School Mathematics Excellence, and received Intel’s top honor 2011 STAR Innovator Award for demonstrating excellence in math education through innovative teaching and learning environments.
Through our approach to education—Academic Achievement, Artistic Beauty, and Athletic Distinction—VCJH strives to develop each student’s potential while instilling valuable spiritual growth through daily Bible education, weekly chapel meetings, and community service opportunities.
Our Quest for Excellence in core offerings, AMSE, the Conservatory of the Arts, and Athletics provides extraordinary opportunities for our students and continues to set us apart. When combined with our commitment to the development of the whole individual, these qualities create a caring sense of community on campus, where each student is deeply valued and inspired to pursue his/her passion and calling.
Founded in 1960, Valley Christian High School (VCHS) is a private Christian school located in the heart of Silicon Valley in San Jose, California. From engaging academics, to award-winning arts programs, to exceptional athletics, VCHS offers abundant opportunities for students to cultivate their God-given talents in a customized college preparatory program. The student community embodies the Christian spirit through global and Bay Area-focused service projects, laying the foundation for students to graduate and live lives of character, service, and influence.
Faculty & Staff
At Valley Christian Schools, we believe that Christian education is more than a career; it is a calling. We are blessed with extraordinary faculty and staff who feel called to invest in the lives of the incredible students who walk through our doors each year. When individuals are interested in joining our VCS community, our leadership prayerfully considers their professional experience and training, as well as their spiritual maturity and vision for the future.
Many VCS faculty members hail from prestigious institutions such as Stanford, UCLA, the Julliard School, Cal Poly, Johns Hopkins University, and many more. Our teachers are committed to professional excellence through continued training in educational best practices, and we are proud to say that 50% of our K-12 faculty hold either a master’s degree or a PhD. As a community, we believe that the best educators are lifelong learners, so a number of teachers are currently earning a postgraduate degree as well.
VCS faculty and staff recognize what a privilege it is to work in an educational environment that values academic, artistic, and athletic excellence within the context of developing the whole individual. We are confident that you will find our teachers, administrators, and staff members to be professional, innovative, engaging, and caring adults, who genuinely want the best for your student. And we look forward to welcoming you into the Valley Christian Family.
The story of Valley Christian Schools began in 1956 during a Bible study held in the home of Bud and Barbara Callisch. At that time, founders Dave and Edie Wallace discussed and prayed about starting a Christian school that would focus its mission around a particular philosophy of Christian education, which became the foundation for Valley Christian Schools. At the heart of their philosophy was establishing a nurturing environment and offering quality education built upon a strong foundation in Christian values. The founders identified parents as the primary educators of their children, thereby creating a partnership with parents to collectively equip students to become leaders who serve God and their families as well as positively impact their communities and the world.
This was the passion for Christian education shared by our late founders, David and Edie Wallace, and their small home Bible group so many years ago. This focus remains at the heart of Valley Christian Schools over 50 years later.
From small beginnings to amazing accomplishments, Valley Christian Schools has come a long way in the last 50+ years. Both of our Leigh and Skyway Campuses provide safe, state-of-the-art facilities where students thrive through our academic, arts, and athletics programs. In fact, our Skyway Campus has some of the finest facilities and equipment in the Bay Area, including the recent addition of our one-of-a-kind Observatory.
Valley Christian Schools’ Quest for Excellence offers each student the opportunity to discover and develop his/her unique, God-given talents. We provide our students with the best possible educational experience and maintain pristine equipment and facilities for our students and staff. Some of our standout facilities include our cancer research lab, satellite tracking station, piano lab, black box theatre, green screen room, two athletic stadiums, Human Performance Center, and much more.